Updates on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Audio-Reader is excited to announce our reopening plans! Phase 1 begins August 16th. Baehr Audio-Reader building will by open by appointment only Monday-Friday from 8:30 am - 2:30 pm.
- Priority will be given to weekly programs and certain special requests.
- Day-of programming will remain remote throughout Phase 1.
- Telephone Reader volunteers will remain remote indefinitely.
- Book readers will be able to reserve two slots per month.
- Live reading and front desk volunteer assignments will be added upon further review at a later date.
Some Long-term Changes at Audio-Reader
- Audio-Reader will no longer be open on weekends or holidays.
- Live reading will not return in the same way post-COVID.
- All Telephone Reader assignments will now be completed remotely.
- A review of our Special Requests program is underway and assignments will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Health & Safety Precautions for Studio Users
- Wipe down surfaces
- Lysol spray microphone pop filter
- Cleaning materials and gloves will be provided in each studio
A New Way to Volunteer: Reading from Home
Interested to give digital home reading a go? Here are a couple of things to bear in mind, for all prospective home readers:
- Home readers must be existing Audio-Reader volunteers who have passed the reading audition and completed new volunteer orientation. Prospective new volunteers, please visit this page to sign up as a volunteer
- You'll need a quiet place in your house to record
- Access to high-speed internet at home
- Good options for both recording and reading devices (this can either be one good computer, or a phone and another reading device like an iPad)
- Home readers will need to be comfortable with reading their publications from the internet
- Finally, you'll be expected to communicate via email, navigate online platforms like Dropbox and be able to troubeshoot technology issues independently
If you think any of the above sounds like a good fit for you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on our Home Reader Survey. This will help us assess which volunteers have what tools available, and how we might work to help you create a home reading option.
Go Further with your Home Recording Setup
Purchase your own affordable "Plug and Play" home studio kit
Audio-Reader highly recommends Audio-Technica's bundle product that includes a microphone, headphones and a handy boom arm, that can all be connected by USB, so audio signal handling is extremely user-friendly. This microphone produces excellent quality home recordings and allows you to build a home studio that is comfortable and very effective.