The Audio-Reader Network provides trained Audio Describers for live theater events in Kansas City, Lawrence and Topeka. The service is utilized primarily by people with vision loss, however, it can also be helpful for people with cognitive or learning disabilities, English language-learners, and people on the autism spectrum. Audio Description has also been shown to help with language development and active listening skills in children!
Patrons check out a pair of headphones on the way into the theater, and the Audio Describer broadcasts directly to the headphones. Before the show, the program is read and theater layout (including aisles, bathrooms, and exits) is described. During the performance, the describer will describe sets, costumes, gestures, facial expressions, stage action and other visual elements, without speaking over the actors.
4600 Starlight Road, Kansas City, MO
Tickets: (816) 363-7827 or www.kcstarlight.com.
Audio Description is available for the following performances:
- Jersey Boys: Saturday, July 1 and Sunday, July 2, 8:00 p.m.
- An American in Paris: Saturday, July 15, 8:00 p.m.
- Something Rotten!: Saturday, July 29, 8:00 p.m.
- The Bodyguard The Musical: Saturday, August 12, 8:00 p.m.
- Motown The Musical: Saturday, August 26, 8:00 p.m.
- Grease: Saturday, September 9, 8:00 p.m.
- Kinky Boots: Saturday, September 30, 8:00 p.m.
All performances start at 8 p.m. Patrons can access Audio Description by picking up a headset from our volunteers, located behind the Terrace 2 seating section.
If you are interested in audio description for Starlight's indoor season, please fill out our request form.
Audio-Reader is now accepting applications for complimentary tickets to Starlight Theatre’s summer Broadway season! Listen to the promo here:
4660 Bauer Farm Drive, Lawrence, KS
Tickets: (785) 843-7469 or www.theatrelawrence.com.
Audio Description is available for the following performances. Additional performances are available by request.
- Catch Me If You Can: Saturday, September 23 (7:30 p.m.), and Sunday, September 24, 2017 (2:30 p.m.)
- Disney's Beauty and the Beast: Saturday, December 9 (7:30 p.m.), and Sunday, December 10, 2017 (2:30 p.m.)
- Miracle on South Divison: Saturday, January 27 (7:30 p.m.), and Sunday, January 28, 2018 (2:30 p.m.)
- Ring of Fire: Saturday, March 10 (7:30 p.m.), and Sunday, March 11, 2018 (2:30 p.m.)
- The Glass Menagerie: Saturday, April 28 (7:30 p.m.), and Sunday, April 29, 2018 (2:30 p.m.)
- Camelot: Saturday, June 16 (7:30 p.m.), and Sunday, June 17, 2018 (2:30 p.m.)
Patrons can access Audio Description by picking up a listening device from our volunteers, located across from the box office. Additional performances available upon request.
The Lied Center
1600 Stewart Drive, Lawrence, KS
Tickets: (785) 864-2787 or www.lied.ku.edu.
Audio Description is available by request. Call the Lied Center at (785) 864-2787. Visit the Lied Center website for a listing of upcoming performances.
Patrons can access Audio Description by picking up a headset from the patron services desk.
Audio versions of Lied Center programs are available by clicking here.
Performances at Crafton-Preyer Theatre on the KU campus, Kansas City Repertory Theatre, Yardley Hall/Polsky Theatre on the Johnson County Community College campus and Topeka Civic Theatre and Academy and other venues are available upon request.
12345 College Blvd., Overland Park, KS
Tickets: (913) 469-4445 or http://www.jccc.edu/performing-arts-series/venue/yardley-hall.html
Audio Description is available by request.
Kansas City Repertory Theatre
Spencer Theatre, 4949 Cherry Street, Kansas City, MO 64110
Tickets: (816) 235-2700 or www.kcrep.org.
Audio Description at Kansas City Repertory Theatre is available by request. Call the Box Office at (816) 235-2700 for tickets and to request audio description. When available, patrons can access Audio Description by picking up a listening device from the souvenir sales stand to the west of door 1. Additional performances available upon request.
Dole Institute of Politics
2350 Petefish Drive, Lawrence, KS 66045
Select exhibits at the Dole Institute of Politics have audio description available. Patrons can access description by using a QR code reader downloaded to their smart phone.
- Legacies of '76 (Audio Description available on-site.)
- The League of Wives: Vietnam's POW/MIA Allies & Advocates (Audio Description available on-site.)
Audio Description can be utilized for students who need access to the visual elements of classroom videos, blended learning videos, and other learning elements. For more information, contact Jennifer Nigro at email@example.com or (785) 864-4604.
Become an Audio Describer!
Audio-Reader and the Spencer Museum of Art are hosting a community Audio Description training event November 18-20! Click here for more information.