The Audio-Reader Network provides trained Audio Describers for live events in Kansas City, Lawrence and Topeka. The service is utilized primarily by people with vision loss, however, it can also be helpful for people with cognitive or learning disabilities, English language-learners, and people on the autism spectrum. Audio Description has also been shown to help with language development and active listening skills in children!
What is Audio Description?
Audio Description aims to bring more meaning and enjoyment to entertainment, cultural, and educational experiences for blind and visually impaired people. The key is making visual imagery accessible. It’s used to enhance movies, television, media, theater and other live performances/events, museums, national parks, meetings, and educational programming. These visual elements can include action, costumes, settings, facial gestures ,facial expressions and other visually important images.
How Does It Work?
Patrons check out a pair of headphones on the way into the theater, and the Audio Describer broadcasts directly to the headphones. Before the show, the program is read and theater layout (including aisles, bathrooms, and exits) is described. During the performance, the describer will describe sets, costumes, gestures, facial expressions, stage action and other visual elements, without speaking over the actors.
4660 Bauer Farm Drive, Lawrence, KS
Tickets: (785) 843-7469 or www.theatrelawrence.com.
Audio Description is available for the following performances. Additional performances are available by request.
- Matilda: The Musical Saturday December 14th at 7:30PM and Sunday December 15th at 2:30PM
- The Compleat Works of Wllm Shkspr (Abridged) Saturday January 25th, 2020 at 7:30PM and Sunday January 26th, 2020 at 2:30PM
- Yours, Anne (A Cantata with Libretto by Enid Futterman and music by Michael Cohen, based on the Diary of Anne Frank) Saturday March 7th at 7:30PM and Sunday March 8th at 2:30PM
- Silent Sky Saturday April 25th at 7:30PM and Sunday April 26th at 2:30PM
- Hello Dolly! Saturday June 20th at 7:30PM and Sunday June 21st at 2:30PM
Patrons can access Audio Description by picking up a listening device from our volunteers, located across from the box office. Additional performances available upon request.
The Lied Center
1600 Stewart Drive, Lawrence, KS
Tickets: (785) 864-2787 or www.lied.ku.edu.
- Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical, Wednesday December 11th, 2019 (7:00 pm)
- The Color Purple: Thursday, January 23rd, 2020 (7:30pm)
- Russian National Ballet: Don Quixote, Sunday, February 16th, 2020 (2:00 pm)
- The Peking Acrobats, Tuesday, February 18th, 2020 (7:00 pm)
- Beautiful: The Carole King Musical: Wednesday, April 22nd, 2020 (7:30pm)
When available, patrons can access Audio Description by picking up a headset from the patron services desk.
Performances at Crafton-Preyer Theatre on the KU campus, Kansas City Repertory Theatre, Yardley Hall/Polsky Theatre on the Johnson County Community College campus and Topeka Civic Theatre and Academy and other venues are available upon request.
4600 Starlight Road, Kansas City, MO
Tickets: (816) 363-7827 or www.kcstarlight.com.
the 2020 Broadway Series has been announced https://www.kcstarlight.com/events/broadway audio description has not yet been determined.
Call Starlight Theatre at (816) 363-7827 to purchase tickets and make your request.
Listening devices for these performances will be available for checkout at Audio-Reader's table
University Theatre (KU-- Crafton-Preyer)
1530 Naismith Drive, Lawrence, KS
Tickets: (785) 864-3982 or
To request Audio Description call the box office
Kansas City Repertory Theatre
Spencer Theatre, 4949 Cherry Street, Kansas City, MO 64110
Tickets: (816) 235-2700 or www.kcrep.org.
Audio Description at Kansas City Repertory Theatre is available by request. Call the Box Office at (816) 235-2700 for tickets and to request audio description. When available, patrons can access Audio Description by picking up a listening device from the souvenir sales stand to the west of door 1.
Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts
1601 Broadway Boulevard, Kansas City, MO
Tickets: (816) 994-7200 or www.kauffmancenter.org.
Audio Description at Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts is available by request. Call the Box Office at (816) 994-7200 for tickets and to request audio description.
12345 College Blvd., Overland Park, KS
Tickets: (913) 469-4445 or http://www.jccc.edu/performing-arts-series/venue/yardley-hall.html
Audio Description is available by request.
Dole Institute of Politics
2350 Petefish Drive, Lawrence, KS 66045
Select exhibits at the Dole Institute of Politics have audio description available. Patrons can access description by using a QR code reader downloaded to their smart phone.
- The League of Wives: Vietnam's POW/MIA Allies & Advocates Traveling Exhibit: On display at the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum through December 2018; Audio Description available on-site.
- Legacies of '76 (Audio Description available on-site.)
- Celebrating Opportunity for People with Disabilities: 70 Years of Dole Leadership
- The League of Wives: Vietnam's POW/MIA Allies & Advocates
Audio Description can be utilized for students who need access to the visual elements of classroom videos, blended learning videos, and other learning elements. For more information, call 785-864-4600.
Audio-Reader can help your business improve the accessibility of videos used on your website, in social media posts, and for training. For more information, call 785-864-4600.
Become an Audio Describer!
If you would like to be contacted about future training sessions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn More about Audio Description!
Audio-Reader would be happy to do an audio description demonstration for your group. Email email@example.com to schedule.