The Audio-Reader Network provides trained Audio Describers for live theater events in Kansas City, Lawrence and Topeka. The service is utilized primarily by people with vision loss, however, it can also be helpful for people with cognitive or learning disabilities, English language-learners, and people on the autism spectrum. Audio Description has also been shown to help with language development and active listening skills in children!
Patrons check out a pair of headphones on the way into the theater, and the Audio Describer broadcasts directly to the headphones. Before the show, the program is read and theater layout (including aisles, bathrooms, and exits) is described. During the performance, the describer will describe sets, costumes, gestures, facial expressions, stage action and other visual elements, without speaking over the actors.
Become an Audio Describer!
Audio-Reader hosts regular trainings for its volunteers, and has training packages available for businesses and organizations interested in learning more about making their visual presentations and displays accessible. Our next training session is scheduled for November 11-12, 2017. For more information or to register, click here.
4660 Bauer Farm Drive, Lawrence, KS
Tickets: (785) 843-7469 or www.theatrelawrence.com.
Audio Description is available for the following performances. Additional performances are available by request.
- Disney's Beauty and the Beast: Sunday, December 3 (2:30 p.m.), Saturday, December 9 (7:30 p.m.), and Sunday, December 10, 2017 (2:30 p.m.)
- Miracle on South Divison: Saturday, January 27 (7:30 p.m.), and Sunday, January 28, 2018 (2:30 p.m.)
- Ring of Fire: Saturday, March 10 (7:30 p.m.), and Sunday, March 11, 2018 (2:30 p.m.)
- The Glass Menagerie: Saturday, April 28 (7:30 p.m.), and Sunday, April 29, 2018 (2:30 p.m.)
- Camelot: Saturday, June 16 (7:30 p.m.), and Sunday, June 17, 2018 (2:30 p.m.)
Patrons can access Audio Description by picking up a listening device from our volunteers, located across from the box office. Additional performances available upon request.
The Lied Center
1600 Stewart Drive, Lawrence, KS
Tickets: (785) 864-2787 or www.lied.ku.edu.
Audio Description is available for the following performances. Additional performances are available by request. Call the Lied Center at (785) 864-2787 to purchase tickets and make your request.
- Dirty Dancing: Friday, October 20, 7:30 p.m.
- Jazzy Ash & The Leaping Lizards: Tuesday, October 23, School Performance, by invitation only.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas Live! On Stage: Saturday, December 16, 2:00 p.m.
- Moscow Festival Ballet: Cinderella: Sunday, January 28, 2018, 2:00 p.m.
- The Wizard of Oz: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:00 p.m.
- Jersey Boys: Tuesday, February 13, 2018, 7:30 p.m.
- The Sound of Music: Tuesday, February 20, 2017, 7:30 p.m.
- Rhapsody in Black: Tuesday, March 13, 2018, School Performance, by invitation only.
- Hypnotic Brass Ensemble: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, School Performance, by invitation only.
- Hypnotic Brass Ensemble: Tuesday, April 17, 2018, 7:30 p.m.
- The Gruffalo: Tuesday, April 24, 2018, School Performance, by invitation only.
Patrons can access Audio Description by picking up a headset from the patron services desk.
Audio versions of Lied Center programs are available by clicking here.
Performances at Crafton-Preyer Theatre on the KU campus, Kansas City Repertory Theatre, Yardley Hall/Polsky Theatre on the Johnson County Community College campus and Topeka Civic Theatre and Academy and other venues are available upon request.
Kansas City Repertory Theatre
Spencer Theatre, 4949 Cherry Street, Kansas City, MO 64110
Tickets: (816) 235-2700 or www.kcrep.org.
Audio Description at Kansas City Repertory Theatre is available by request. Call the Box Office at (816) 235-2700 for tickets and to request audio description. When available, patrons can access Audio Description by picking up a listening device from the souvenir sales stand to the west of door 1.
4600 Starlight Road, Kansas City, MO
Tickets: (816) 363-7827 or www.kcstarlight.com.
There are no scheduled performances at this time. If you are interested in audio description for Starlight's indoor season, please contact Starlight Theatre at (816) 363-7827 to make a request.
12345 College Blvd., Overland Park, KS
Tickets: (913) 469-4445 or http://www.jccc.edu/performing-arts-series/venue/yardley-hall.html
Audio Description is available by request.
Dole Institute of Politics
2350 Petefish Drive, Lawrence, KS 66045
Select exhibits at the Dole Institute of Politics have audio description available. Patrons can access description by using a QR code reader downloaded to their smart phone.
- Legacies of '76 (Audio Description available on-site.)
- The League of Wives: Vietnam's POW/MIA Allies & Advocates (Audio Description available on-site.)
Audio Description can be utilized for students who need access to the visual elements of classroom videos, blended learning videos, and other learning elements. For more information, contact Jennifer Nigro at firstname.lastname@example.org or (785) 864-4604.